[NAGDU] Ben

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jul 25 13:18:48 UTC 2016

My retired guide Ben, who is nearly 12, has been diagnosed with a mass in
his intestine.5 or 6 weeks ago, he was vomiting and not eating, but an X-ray
didn't show anything and he recovered in a couple days.  Last week, the same
started again, and an ultrasound showed the mass.  He is scheduled for
surgery today, but this morning we're taking him to the big animal hospital
nearby for a second opinion.  He stopped vomiting Friday, but wouldn't eat
until yesterday.  Today he seems hungry, but can't have anything because of
the possible surgery.

If they open him up and there's widespread cancer, or the mass is too big to
remove, they'll end his life right then.  If they can remove the mass,
they'll send it off for biopsy, and Ben will have some potentially tricky
recovery from bowel surgery.  So it's not good.  It's been a rough few days.
We considered what best to do, and we feel that, if we could ask him, Ben
would say he's not ready to go yet. Luckily, we make enough money so that we
don't have to factor cost into our decision, unless things get really crazy.

We don't really like the doctor who's scheduled to do the surgery.  I'm sure
he's capable, but I always feel he's dismissive of me and doesn't listen to
my concerns or explain things well.  So we may just deal with the big
hospital instead.

People don't need to reply; I won't have much time for email; but any good
thoughts and energy would be a fine thing.

Tracy