[NAGDU] UBER DRIVER FACES CRIMINAL CHARGES

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon Jul 25 01:20:04 UTC 2016

NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
FROM: Tennessee Association of Guide Dog Users
DATE: July 18, 2016
TO: All Media
RE: Criminal Case Against Uber Driver
CONTACT:
James Boehm
901-483-1515
secretary at nfb-tn.org

UBER DRIVER FACES CRIMINAL CHARGES

On April 28, 2016, James Boehm and his guide dog Shep were left
stranded at an animal hospital in Murfreesboro, TN. An Uber driver
defiantly squealed away, refusing to transport the guide dog team home.

"I was distraught and infuriated all at once!" stated Mr. Boehm, who
filed a police report with the Rutherford County sheriff's
department. After an investigation, the state Attorney filed charges
against Rolonda Douglas. The hearing is scheduled for August 9th,
2016 at 8:00 a.m. at the Rutherford County Judicial Building located
at 20 North Public Square.

"This case is so important because it sets a precedent for all Uber,
Lyft, or other taxi drivers," says James Boehm.  "If they
discriminate against a service animal user, the violators will be prosecuted."

Members of the National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee and
their guide dogs, along with other service dog users from around the
state plan to attend the hearing to support the cause. "Such
incidents occur far too often and we want to present a strong,united
front in support of this case," says james Brown, president of the
NFB of Tennessee. "We want to make a statement that such
discrimination is not acceptable.

Not only does the Americans with Disabilities Act make it clear that
disabled individuals have the right to be accompanied by a service
dog, Tennessee statute 62.7.112 strengthens the ADA by providing
criminal penalties for such discrimination. As a Class C misdemeanor,
violating the civil rights of a disabled person accompanied by a
service dog is punishable by up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine of
up to $50. (The entire text of the Tennessee statute accompanies this release.)
# # #

           The National Federation of the Blind is the oldest and
largest organization of the blind in the United States. The NFB knows
that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your
future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because
low expectations are the obstacles between blind people and our
dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back. The Federation provides scholarships to blind students;
support for those who are blind or losing their eyesight; advocacy
for the blind facing discrimination; and educational programs for the
general public on topics of blindness. The NFB is not an organization
that speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the blind speaking for ourselves.

About NAGDU
           The Tennessee Association of Guide Dog Users (TAGDU) is a
strong and proud division of the National Association of Guide Dog
Users. The National Association of Guide dog Users is the nation's
leading membership organization for blind people who use guide
dogs.  NAGDU is a strong and proud division of the National
Federation of the Blind. NAGDU conducts public awareness campaigns on
issues of guide dog use, provides advocacy support for guide dog
handlers who face discrimination, supports sound policy and effective
legislation to protect the rights of guide dog users, offers
educational programs to school and civic organizations, and functions
as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind. For more
information about the National Association of Guide Dog Users and to
support their work, you can visit their website at

<http://www.nagdu.org/>HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG

Or send an email message to

<mailto:Info at NAGDU.ORG>Info at NAGDU.ORG