[NAGDU] Overhead Obstacles? Too Much Avoidance?

Lisie Foster lisiefoster at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 08:21:58 UTC 2016

There are very few overhead obstacles where my dog and I walk. But, there are a few, mostly trees with branches hanging down over the sidewalk.

For two days in a row, "Kennedy" (call name for the public as of now...I've just decided on it!) walked me into some low-hanging branches and we re-worked them like we would anything else. We finished with him skirting around them quite well.

The next time we passed that place, he skirted the branches, then returned to our path. But, the next time, he insisted on crossing to the opposite side of the street, just until we'd passed the place where those branches are, and then he indicated he was ready to return to our original path! You'd have thought there was major construction there, rather than some weeping willow branches.

So, what do you think I should do in this situation? Do I leave it to him to decide the safest way to proceed? Do I keep him going forward on our original route and make sure he avoids the branches? Do other dogs actually cross from one sidewalk to another to avoid something that minor, or is that something we need to work on?

Thank you so so much!

Lisie and "Kennedy"

lisiefoster at yahoo.com
Sent from my iPhone