[NAGDU] Overhead Obstacles? Too Much Avoidance?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jul 30 16:00:49 UTC 2016

Lisie,

Good boy!

When my dogs are first learning a new type of obstacle avoidance,
they'll sometimes go to extremes to get around it, so that may be what
happened when yours crossed the street to get around the weeping willow.
When they're more confident at managing the overheads along with what's
on the ground, we cut things a lot closer and don't veer around as much.

When I'm teaching the dog to go around things, I'm usually on familiar
routes with my cane, then the same familiar routes in harness, so I give
a lot of guidance on how I want the dog to go around this or that and
get back on course. Then when we expand our horizons, I let the dog
decide how to get us from here to there safely. There's an in-between
stage where the dog is starting to generalize what he learned in
training to new situations and different obstacles, and that can be
tricky for me as a handler as I try to figure how much help from me the
dog still needs and how much help from me is going to cause a problem.
Over time, we manage to get it all straightened out, and I can trust my
dog to make good decisions.

So in the situation of yours where your dog crossed the street, if you
know enough of the lay of the land to know that wasn't the best call,
you could rework it the way you want him to do it. If you don't know the
lay of the land, I would say go with the dog. There may be stuff on the
ground that makes going around without crossing the street dangerous. If
that's the case, I would teach the dog to turn around to cross the
street at an intersection instead of getting into the practice of
crossing at random. I also teach my dogs to go into the side of the
street and stay out of the flow of traffic, then get back onto the
sidewalk as soon as there is a safe way to do that.

hth,

Tami