[NAGDU] what businesses can do

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Jun 22 17:21:21 UTC 2016

Julie,

Since it's a grocery store, wouldn't that put your son in a bind
regarding health and safety codes? He might at least want to document
that it is the owner's decision to allow pets in, in case of an inspection.

In terms of the ADA, as I see it, the business has the right to decide
to allow pets in the store. If it's a grocery store, the owner is
risking problems from health code violations from allowing pets as well
as service dogs. Still... The ADA says a person with a disability must
be allowed in with a service dog when pets are not allowed. It doesn't
disallow pets at the business owner's discretion.

I might not shop at the store knowing about the disregard for health and
safety codes. What other violations are present to save a buck or make
one? Then again, I have a feeling that if I got picky about grocery
stores allowing pets in around here, there would be no place to buy
groceries. I've never run into problem pets, but from what I hear, none
of the stores around here nitpicks about whether a dog is a service dog.
How accurately what I hear represents the truth of the matter is beyond
knowing. You know how it is with small town gossip. /lol/

I honestly don't know what I would do in his place. Being picky about
jobs when you're just starting out can be economically unfeasible. Being
told to violate regulations, though... Not a good place to be. The
options I can think of are to discuss the health codes with the boss,
leave the job, or cover one's own butt in case the health code violation
results in penalties and scapegoating. None of those are great options.
Sorry he is in this position. It's really unfair for the owner to put
him in it.

Tami