[NAGDU] Guide dogs and vacuums

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Thu Jun 23 01:18:45 UTC 2016

Hello all. My girlfriend and I have the Roomba 800 series. Yes it is true that it has gotten stuck here and there and has needed rescue. However that has been less than 10% of the time. We have mostly wooden floors with linoleum in the kitchen. We do have a few carpeted areas in the hallway and in the front room and he does fine with traveling between those different terrains. See I really love this thing. I just went from calling it and it to calling him a he. In fact we have named him Hector. We have one lab in our house and we need to mainly run it in the front room and kitchen at least every other day because of the amount of hair and stuff that collects. While most of it is dog hair, it definitely picks up stuff that we didn't even think was on the floor. We run it in the bedrooms and in the bathrooms less frequently and it does pick up things very well. It is short enough that it can go under most couches and most beds. The 800 series does not use brushes. Instead he uses rubberlike squeegee things. We have to replace the filter at least every three months and we have to occasionally clean the brush heads out. Yes, most of the stuff that comes out is dog hair. However when you have a dog that just goes without saying. I will be getting a new guy dog later this year and most likely will need to run it on a daily basis. In addition to this robotic vacuum we also have a hand-held cordless shark vacuum. Will use it to pick up areas that need to be vacuumed for spills or maybe on furniture. So it is a good complement to the robot. We do have a couple of older so called standard vacuums but we haven't use them in over a year.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer

Voice/Text: 832.554.7285