[NAGDU] Use of treats during training

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Jun 28 03:42:59 UTC 2016

Tracy,

That makes sense. In theory, the dog in early training will learn to
associate a straight crossing to the upcurb with reward, then the treats
will be phased out as the straight crossing becomes automatic. The way I
do it with my dogs, we're still doing quiet, safe streets to learn to
cross properly, and the treat at the upcurb is phased out by the time we
start working on real traffic awareness. Both Loki and Mitzi have
started ignoring offered treats at the down curb in favor of watching
for traffic, in fact. They want to make sure it's safe, then cross and
get on with going somewhere. It might be different with a more food
motivated dog, however. Definitely, the trainer would need to be sure
the treats have been phased out and the dog is paying attention to the
right things before the dog goes into service.

hth,

Tami