[NAGDU] People-oriented dogs

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Tue Mar 8 11:06:39 UTC 2016

Well fortunately my dogs have learned that they can socialize if I give the
okay and then we can just walk away, that has worked for all of my dogs
fortunately and I've had relatively little problem with this, not saying it
can't be a problem, though I think a lot of times it's more the people who
are the problem then the dogs, people who make noises at the dog and talk in
high happy voices and do all sorts of things that dogs just love--smile.  I
do my best to be low-key about things but sometimes I do have to ask people
to refrain--smile.
For better or for worse, it's probably easier to work on our dogs been
gunder control in such situations then to try to control people as people
are sometimes hopeless--lol

And now a story, you were afraid of that:

On a subway platform, I could tell by my dog's stance, Evan at the time,
that someone was doing something, I reached down and there was someone
vigorously caressing him. I asked her not to do that. She said why" I
explained he's a working dog, and we are on a subway platform, she said
"he's not working, he's standing", I replied that standing and waiting for
the train is his work and I didn't intend to fall off the platform today,
she then mumbled something about she'd never heard about such a thing, the
dog is badly trained--smile. Notice God forbid she should say I'm sorry or I
didn't know or something like that,,,takes all kinds to make a world, God
love 'em.

I'm basically saying that if given the right circumstances yes I let people
pet and then my dogs know they need to be controlled after that, there is a
place or time for everything--smile
Now in the case of the story, the subway platfomr was not the right place or
the time--lol

Cordially,

Dan the man and  occasional social butterfly, Parker