[NAGDU] I'm working, don't pet, vest

blind springbok blind.springbok at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:07:28 UTC 2016

Hi
Here in the UK and Northern  Ireland we have a sign that is on our handle which says please don't distract me I'm a working guide dog.
Unfortunately no matter what you do or say and however politely people still don't understand that you can't pet a working guide or assistance dog.
Yes, it does make life difficult but human nature being what it is and people seeing how fantastic our dogs are when working they just think they are awesome and only want to stroke them to say how fabulous they are.
We can't and won't get vests that say about not distracting them as they are working dogs. It just wouldn't work here as if people won't adhere to a handle sign which some guide dog owners tend to take off anyway, they won't adhere to a vest.
So we just have to continue to educate the public and inform the next  generation.
Diane and Morris guide dog

Diane and Morris Marks
17 Innis avenue
Newtownabbey