[NAGDU] Those overly social dogs and their signs

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Thu Mar 10 18:27:14 UTC 2016

Hi, guys.

I've never had an anti-social guide dog.  <grin.  I wish they could breed
them because it really gets old dealing with people who think they're
entitled to their doggie fix.

You really develop a thick skin after a bit.  Just saying no thanks in as
polite of a voice as possible while moving on can stop the drive by petting.
But yes, I've had to forcibly remove the occasional human hand and I've even
given one person an accidental leash correction because I knew the dog was
distracted, but didn't know hwy until I gave a correction and heard a
distinctly feminine human yelp.  Oooops.

I've started training my dogs to not respond to most human distractions
without negative consequences for them whether it's just a firm no or, if it
escalates, some obedience and lastly a leash correction.  So far Paige is
farily distraction proof,though she does have her favorite bipeds she goes
crazy for.

I love the idea of the harness sign, but it really doesn't work and it seems
to bring out the smarty pants factor.  I've heard "I know I'm not supposed
to pet, but. . . . " rationalization even without a sign.  People just don't
think the rules apply to them.  I think of my dog as an extension of my
body, i.e. my personal space.  I don't want someone touching me or my body
without permission.

My favorite potential sign would be something like WARNING Touching this
working dog may cause blindness.  I'd love to see the expression on their
face as they pet and then realize what they're reading as they're petting.
It would be priceless, I'm sure.

Lisa

missktlab1217 at frontier.com

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth... After that,
everything else was Made in China.