[NAGDU] Mind Blown....

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat May 7 19:10:59 UTC 2016

Michael,

It seems to me that if ADI and CCI succeed in their goal to legislate
certification and standards (which they will, of course, be happy to set
up and administer!), it would have a negative, if not devastating,
effect on the programs. So I'm surprised that they're willing to be part
of that. I'm sure the membership and accreditation help with
fundraising, since most people are impressed by that sort of thing. If
school A is accredited and school B is not, which one would most of us

donate to? Having a defined set of standards is never a bad thing,
either, naturally. :)

Since I'm looking at the scene from an entirely different standpoint,
the whole idea makes my hair stand on end. The most recent proposed
legislation I read was downright frightening! Each new one seems to
include more regulation of service dogs, and this one mentioned ADI a
couple of times. It didn't get to trying to legislate semi-annual
re-evaluation or other requirements they recommend in their literature,
but I'm wondering now how long before I see that in some proposed state
law that has a chance of going through the legislative process. The last
one simply wanted to make it the law that a dog must sit and stay to be
registered. Oh, and behave at home the way they think it should. Silly
me. I own my home and believe the dogs should behave the way *I* think
they should. Also, wouldn't that requirement mean someone has to come
into the home of every service dog user and hang out to observe and
verify the dog's at-home behavior is up to snuff?

The programs can also wield some influence over these legislative
efforts from within, and look out for their own interests, at least.
Some, if not all, would no doubt also look out for the interests of
their consumers. So maybe that balances out the paying for membership
and so forth that adds funding to the efforts to regulate service dogs
out of existence?

Just sorta trying to think it through here, and I'm only guessing in my
conjectures about behind-the-scenes stuff and how it all might work.

Tami