[NAGDU] {Spam?} Re: Loose dogs?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu May 12 17:12:05 UTC 2016

Daryl,

Honestly, if it's not affecting her work or building up towards
aggression or likely to turn into a real dog fight, I would let be. It
might be a good time to do some recall with reward for Jenny, which
would tone her side of things down a bit and might even teach her to
just ignore the dogs when they go by. This might also cause the dogs to
ignore Jenny more. In my experience, it takes a pretty high-value reward
to lure a dog away from a fun session of fence barking. If I don't have
enough temptation to compete, then I'm better off not calling them.

Every now and then a dog we haven't seen before will wander around loose
here. My dogs will go bonkers at first, then settle down and just watch
it sniff around or make fence friends with it. I figure if it's hanging
around our fence line, it's not going into the street, so that keeps it
safe until the owner shows up or animal control shows up or the dog just
gets bored with adventure and trots on home.

Oh, the important thing not to do is to add excitement to the mix by
running around trying to catch your dog to drag her away, unless you are
better at grabbing a collar while she's avoiding you than I am. /lol/
That drives me crazy sometimes, and then I want to jump up and down and
screech, which really winds things up. It works out much better in the
long run to figure dogs are dogs, and as long as they don't go too
overboard, they can just settle down on their own. It's pretty normal
here for dogs to be barking in their yards, so I can be more relaxed
about it than if I lived where the culture is more uptight about that
sort of thing. We all just try to keep our beasts within reasonable
limits and let them be what they are.

I have been noticing that I am barked at less walking with Loki these
days. I guess he's learned to ignore them and has enough maturity to
just go about his business. Most of the time. I get a little lost at
times on the route in and out of the neighborhood because if the dog in
the yard on any given block isn't barking at me, I must not be where I
think I am. I've gotten lost in my own yard at night because the usual
barkers weren't active for some reason. I try to remember not to use
that for orientation, but there it is.

Tami