[NAGDU] Questions About Getting My First Guide Dog

Emily K. Michael emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:17:53 UTC 2016

Good morning, Rachel!

Congratulations! This is an exciting time for you! I got my first guide two years ago, and it has been an incredible experience!

I will speak to your first and third question. I, too, am a singer and teacher—though I teach college writing.

So, regarding your students: I don’t think you have any obligation to tell them you’re working with a dog. First of all, you don’t need their permission, and secondly, they shouldn’t be focused on the dog during lessons. I think people are going to be surprised, regardless of how much you’ve prepped them. The only issue you might run into is allergies, especially since voice lessons are one-on-one and usually held in small confined spaces. So perhaps you could have something on your instructor bio or website that says, “I work with a guide dog; if you would like to study with me but have concerns relating to allergies, send me an email.”

You may get a few students who are seriously afraid of dogs. I say seriously here because I think dog-fear comes in two types: the shrieking, shouting kind and the quiet, frozen kind. I have helped a few students come to terms with this fear, and the solution here is space and routine. If a student is afraid of your dog, reassure them that the dog is going to hang out in a corner of the studio and shouldn’t bother them. I’ve never had a student drop a class because of her fear of dogs.

I also put a statement about service dog etiquette in my syllabus. I’ve expanded the traditional ADA statement to include a clause about interfering with working service animals. I’ve found this to be quite helpful.

Regarding the backyard, I’m way too overprotective to let my guide out of my sight that way. I don’t like the idea of being separated from him even if we’re in a familiar place other than home. Even though this is a good friend, you have to be careful what precedents you establish. If it is OK for you to be separated from your pup in one instance, then it may become an expectation. But if you can be sure the backyard is safe, and you can keep an eye on your pup, it should be a feasible workaround.

Your relationships may change. That’s just the reality. Some people are fussy about dog hair regardless of allergies (which are perfectly legitimate). But honestly, the relationships that are worth anything won’t be seriously harmed by the presence of a dog. The thing to watch out for is people who want you to leave the dog behind because they consider themselves an adequate substitute. That kind of behavior strikes me as obnoxious.

Good luck with this process! You are going to have a blast! One piece of advice: bring lots of tissues! I did not expect the training process to be as emotional as it was! Be prepared for lots of ups and a few downs.

Best,
Emily
—
Emily K. Michael