[NAGDU] Questions About Getting My First Guide Dog

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Wed May 18 13:38:31 UTC 2016

I agree with Emily here. Except I wouldn't even mention the thing about
allergies, if they have problems they'll bring it up believe me, people
aren't usually that nice or diplomatic.  It's your studio, Rachael, which I
assume means your home or some space you use, you can do as you like , they
are paying for lessons, you aren't paying them.

And  Emily  is right about the thing about making a precedent, if you tell
one person you 'all leave the dog, then it gets to be two and so on. Every
one has their limit with this or their boundaries and only you can decide
what you're more comfortable with in that regard.  I mean when I first got a
dog I didn't really  know how to handle things, I was a bit shier than I am
now and it was awkward for me to figure out how to assert myself if people
were pushy about things.  I remember going to one guy's apartment who
claimed, (the guy not the apartment--lol) that he had no problem with dogs
and then he told me to tie the dog at the door,  I said no, and it was
indeed awkward but I lived through it and after that every time he told me I
should come he said no dog and I just stopped going there.  I really didn't
have a very good time and I decided that had to be my limit.

The usual excuses people will give are: I'll guide you"  "you don't need the
dog here, you're just sitting"--lol  "I don't like dogs" "I'm not
comfortable"  "you didn't need it before "I'm afraid of dogs", "my wife,
husband, kid, niece, neighbor, cat, salamander etc. is afraid of or
allergic"  I once forced the issue and the lady's daughter at an apartment
screamed every time my dog moved. ", and many many others.  What your limit
is will depend on you, some people leave their dogs at the drop of a hat,
others never will leave their dogs no matter what,  and so many positions
in-between.

And remember if you ask permision, then someone might say no--smile That's
why I never ask permision if I go to a place of public accomodation, the no
answer doesn't interest me. Sorry for sounding tough, I'm actually pretty
easy to deal with but these are my honest thoughts.

My limit is that if it's a question of public accommodation then I don't
compromise it  isn't  a dog popularity contest in your taxi cab, restaurant
or anything else.  With peoples' houses or apartments I evaluate, 1. will it
cause me significant trouble to leave my dog, ie, how long am I gone and how
do I get there?  2.  Is the pleasure I get out of it more than the
inconvenience?  3. is it really a good idea or not for my dog to be with me.
Of course if they are all for you bringing your guide dog with you to the
house or apartmente then you don't even need to frame those questions, but
anyway...
, these are situations that no one, even at guide dog school prepares you
for, dealing with people in a way that is advantageous to you and your dog
but yet doesn't  damage relations with people and sometimes you'll win on
that one, sometimes you'll loose. But I think you'll mainly have pleasant
experiences with your doggie and enjoy, I hope, the graceful and enjoyable
walks with your dog whipping you around the obstacles and that your teamwork
with your dog will grow and be wonderful.

Warmest regards,
Dan and the Parker Hound