[NAGDU] Questions about getting my first guide dog

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu May 19 04:28:49 UTC 2016

Hi Rachel,  Mardi here. Make sure that Seeing Eye knows that you need a dog
that has been around cats before. I had a friend who's guide dog had never
been around cats and when she brought it to my house, I took it for granted
that it would be alright with my cats. Every thing was fine until her dog
saw one of my cats. He lunged and knocked over a fish tank in the process.
I rescued the one fish that had been in the tank and put in into another
tank. There was quite a mess to clean up though.From then on I put my cats
in another room so her dog could not see them. I would not worry about the
cats emotional attachment to you. The cat will get used to the
dog,providing that the dog does not go after it.You leave the house now and
come back so the cat will not think any thing about the dog going with you.
You will still come back and and spend time with the cat the same as
always.I would give the cat a little extra time of cuddling and attention,
when you are home. The dog will get used to you having some time with the
cat. I put a kitty door on my kitchen door so the dogs could not get to the
cat food and the litter box. My dogs have always gotten along with my cats
and I have Shepherds and Siberian Huskies. Huskies are known for trying to
eat cats, but mine respected me enough that they knew that my cats were off
limits, so they did not bother them. As for the allergy sufferers, there is
a wipe that you can buy in pet stores to wipe your dog down with. This does
help.  Hope this has been helpful. If you need any help acclimating your
new guide to the cat, feel free to contact me any time and I can help with
that if needed.    Mardi and Shaman,semi-retired and Neechee,GD and Sedona,
GDIT.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/