[NAGDU] Questions About Getting My First Guide Dog

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Mon May 30 01:14:32 UTC 2016

*Hello Rachel,
You may not have to completely give up your cane.
You are attending Leader Dog, right? Unless policy has changed since I
was last there the instructors suggested carrying a folding cane to
supplement your dog to help you explore an obstacle while working your
dog, or as a back up in case of harness failure, or the pup suddenly
taking ill while out on route.

HTH

Wayne And Harley

*On 5/27/2016 1:08 PM, Rachel Grider via NAGDU wrote:
> I think I will definitely have a hard time with giving up my cane. I
> love to be able to learn about my environment with my cane, and I am
> used to being in total control. With a dog, I will have to give up
> some of that control, but I will hopefully be trading control for
> better speed and grace when walking through hazardous environments.
>
> Last week, I began wondering if I really should get a guide dog
> because I thought that maybe the worries I had and the possible issues
> I could foresee were just too much, and maybe a guide dog just wasn't
> the best thing for me at this time in my life. I made a numbered list
> of all the personal benefits of getting a guide dog (which I am still
> adding to as I think of more, by the way) and another list of all the
> possible problems and inconveniences that a guide dog would create. I
> was greatly encouraged because the pros greatly outnumbered the cons,
> and I have even taken some of the cons off the list altogether as I
> think of ways to get around them.
>
> I still have a ton of questions, but I think that as long as I have a
> guide dog that fits my personality and lifestyle, everything will work
> out. My biggest worry at this point is that somehow the dog they
> choose for me will end up being the wrong choice, and I will have to
> send it back for a new one after having already bonded with it. Does
> that ever happen, or am I being paranoid?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rachel
>
> On 5/27/16, Cindy Ray via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> I think the hardest thing for me with the first dog was giving over some of
>> the responsibility that I used to take using a cane to the dog. I wanted to
>> know all of the things about my environment that I used to know with the
>> cane because I trusted me more than the dog. Now I sort of wonder why I
>> felt
>> that way, having retired the dog and gone back to using a cane.
>> Lots of wonderful times and happy trails, Rachel.
>> Cindy

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/pickrellrebecca%40g
>>> mail.c

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/rachel.grider%40gma