[NAGDU] A few questions about leaderdog commands?

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Thu May 19 17:42:51 UTC 2016

Hello Jessica. The "stay" command is given to the dog when you want
him/her to stay where you leave them. An example is if you are at work
and you are in your office. The dog might be under the desk. If you get
up to get a glass of water from an area outside of your office, maybe
about 10 or 15 feet away. You might want to tell the dog to stay. This
means he/she should remain under the desk while you go away for a bit.
Then when you come back, praise them if they followed your direction.
The "come" command is almost the opposite. Let's say that you are at
home and your dog is laying on the ground near your couch. You walk to
your door which is several feet away. Instead of you going to get your
dog, you tell him "come" and he/she will get up and come to you instead.
The stay and come commands are great ways to keep your dog's attention
on you. You can use these to help minimize distractions. If the dog can
successfully come to you despite other distractions, then that is a
great thing.

Hope this helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos