[NAGDU] A few questions about leaderdog commands?

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu May 19 19:32:04 UTC 2016

Jessica:

I am glad to hear you have made the big decision to apply for a guide dog.
Although it is a big responsibility, it will also be very rewarding.  It
will change the way you think about traveling as a blind person.  You will
always have a loving companion with you but, remember you just can't put it
into the closet and forget it once you get home.  Your new dog will need
your attention 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  After 41 years of using a
guide dog, I can tell you, I wouldn't have it any other way.  Guide dogs are
amazing!

Those commands are just what those words mean.  Stay means you want the dog
to stay where it is and come means you want the dog to come to you.  There
are several other commands you will learn that are used in your work with
your dog such as right, left, etc...  I am not going to list them here
because every school is different and I do not want to give you incorrect
information.  Some schools have you say your dog's name before each command
and others do not.  Some schools have you instruct your dog to find a seat,
stairs, door, inside, outside etc... and other schools do not.    So as you
can see,  there will be a lot for you to learn as you train with your own
dog and work with his/her trainer.  Leader Dogs will give you all this
information during daily training sessions as well as evening lectures.

As you are in the application process there are other things you should be
thinking about.  Do you want a particular breed, male or female?  Do you
want a dog that walks very fast or one that has a slower pace?  What kind of
work will your dog be doing, country, city, taking bus, train?  Do you go to
school or work?  Do you have children?  Do you have other pets in the hoe?
Do you have any medical conditions or physical problems that should be
considered?  These are all things the school will take into consideration as
they find a match for you.  Do not hesitate to be completely honest.  The
more information the school has about you, the better they can plan for your
training and find the right dog for you.

Sandra and Eva