[NAGDU] Questions About Getting My First Guide Dog

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat May 28 01:08:38 UTC 2016

Rachel:

I think once you take that first walk with a guide dog, you will gladly give
up your cane.  However, let me say that you can always take your cane to
check out a particular place if you really feel you need to explore it
without having your dog with you.  I personally have never felt the need to
do this but, I know many blind people who do.  It is totally up to you once
you are home with your new dog.  Some blind people do choose to walk a new
route with their canes first and then introduce it to their dogs.

As for the match not working out, well it can happen.  Sometimes they will
make a dog change on class if they see that the match just isn't working
out.  It does happen that a dog may need to be sent back for work, behavior
or health reasons.  I am not sure the exact statistics of how many times a
match doesn't work out but, I am sure it is not a lot when you compare it to
the number of successful matches put out by all the schools every year.  The
important thing is that you be sure to discuss any problems with your
trainer as soon as possible so they can be dealt with before they get worse.
Usually the trainers can resolve issues without a dog having to be sent
back.  In 41 years of using guide dogs, I have had to return a few.  Yes, I
will admit that I was heart broken but, I also knew in each situation that
it was best for me and the dog.  Sometimes it was due to health issues and
sometimes due to work related issues such as nervousness, unsafe guiding.
No matter the reason, it is always hard to have to return a dog to the
school.  I do have to say that the reward comes when you then go back and
train with a successful match.  Then the feeling you have is gratitude,
relief, and excitement that this new match will be successful.  I will
always remember my failed matches with loving fondness but, I do not dwell
on them to the point it has a negative effect on working my current dog.

I am glad to hear that you have given this a lot of thought and made the
list of pros and cons.  That is always a good way to look at any new thing
you are planning.  I wish you the best of luck.  Enjoy your trip to the
school and enjoy meeting your new furry partner.  I will be waiting to hear
all about your training experience and about your new dog.

Sandra and Eva