[NAGDU] Standing out

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat May 28 03:13:28 UTC 2016

Hi Ashley,

It's funny that you bring up what things will be like.  I have been
doing some reading lately about the treatment blind people received by
airlines in the 1980s.  President Jernigan said that by 2009 those
troubles with airlines would be in the past.  And they are for the
most part.  The law is now on our side, and we don't hear as many
stories of people being asked to give up their canes or move seats
because of a dog.

The world is designed for sighted people.  They are a majority.  The
thing is...  That doesn't make us less capable of living in the world,
and that's the misconception out there.  We live less because we are
blind.  We all know this is not true, but we are still (in 2016)
convincing society of this reality.

My dog is lovely, but I have an outgoing, hopefully friendly
personality.  I will stand out because I am a slightly quirky
performer type.  :)  If people can't get past my dog to see that, then
really...  they aren't using their eyes!