[NAGDU] Do we stand out?

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Sat May 28 13:33:32 UTC 2016

I believe the difference is that blindness has negative connotations--we are
dumb, deaf, retarded, can't cut it, bungling. And just for the record, I
don't actually believe these things. But people who are sighted do at some
level. Blending in means that we are being accepted maybe, or at least not
being noticed because we are blind. It just feels as if sometimes we are
being noticed in negative ways, which is actually often sometimes true. Cars
and the like are status symbols. Blindness often brings out the pitying
thing. I am sure you all think I am way more insecure than I actually am.
LOL. And all of this isn't about blindness at all, but about being over
weight. But honestly, once we were on a bus with some folks who were blind
and, of course, some sighted people. We were laughing and enjoying some
cookies, I think it was, and someone remarked something about how at least
we had some enjoyment.
Cindy