[NAGDU] Our rights under the ADA

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 01:59:24 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I got into a debate with a friend recently about our rights under the
ADA related to Uber drivers who claim they can't transport guide dogs
for religious reasons, or because they are allergic to dogs. His
argument was that both of our rights are protected, so he couldn't
understand why our rights would be more important. In the case of
religious reasons, he argued that those drivers would not have a
choice since their religion dictates they cannot have contact with a
dog, whereas we as blind people have a choice of whether or not to
travel with a dog.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case, but can't find a source and
I do see the logic in his argument. Does anyone know when/how it was
decided that these aren't valid reasons to deny a service animal?

Thanks,
Mike