[NAGDU] Help with obedience

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 21:29:06 UTC 2016

Dar and Tracy:

I do not know about getting help from local obedience trainers.  In dar's
case it might be her only option because Pilot Dogs does not have a
follow-up or after-care program.  They offer suggestions on the phone but as
we all know that is not always helpful.  Sometimes you need the trainer
right there to see what is happening between you and your dog.  If a local
trainer could be found I think it would be very helpful to resolve behavior
and obedience issues.  If the problems are guiding related then the only
option for Pilot grads is to make a trip back to the school so they can work
with you and your dog.  In some cases this will not help because the work
issues might be related to your local environment.  Whatever you do daily
obedience does help to eliminate or at least control a lot of behaviors.  I
try to mix it up because the goofy golden is too smart and will anticipate
what I am going to ask her to do.  I ask her to do things unexpectedly
during our day and both inside different rooms of the house as well as
outside.  This keeps her guessing what will come next.  I also like doing
obedience with a lot of distractions because that is what we encounter when
we are working.  Good luck to all the owners like me with a dog who thinks
she is smarter than her owner and tries to get away with playing with
people.

Sandra and Goofy Golden Eva