[NAGDU] Staying together

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 1 19:27:28 UTC 2016

Tracy:

Yes it will work.  I know all the schools tell us not to do this but when
you are with another blind person you really don't have any other choice if
you want to stay together without both of you getting completely frustrated.
Some dogs are great at guiding two people and some are not but, it is worth
a try.  Whenever I am with a cane user I have them hold onto my arm and
still keep their cane in front of them especially more on their right side.
I would practice this with your husband and dog in a familiar area so all of
you can get used to traveling this way.  The only problem I can see is if
your dog tends to keep you too far to the right as he walks.  Then your
husband might get pushed into things.  If he is using his cane then he will
hopefully be able to quickly step behind you to pass the obstacles or get
through narrow spaces.  I have done this at conventions to guide one and
even two other blind people so we all can stay together.  With a bit of
practice I am sure all of you can make it work.  Good luck.

Sandra and Eva