[NAGDU] International travel with a guidedog

Bonnie Mosen bonnie at mosen.org
Tue Apr 4 21:46:47 UTC 2017

HI Miranda. How exciting. I'm an American living in New Zealand with my
Seeing Eye dog. My best advice is do your research prior to travel. The
biggest challenge to taking a guide abroad is, imo, is the mountain of
paperwork that may be required by whatever country you will be staying in.
If you may be travelling to different countries during your stay that will
also need to be taken into consideration. For example, I had to start the
paperwork for New Zealand six months before I moved, and my dog had to be in
a home quarantine for two weeks once I arrived. NZ's extreme, but most
countries have some sort of entry requirement. Second would be cultural
attitudes and laws. This shouldn't be a problem with most countries but
something you might want to consider. Years ago when I was to travel to
Morrocco I could have taken my dog, but because the orientation to dogs was
different than in other places I left her behind. They also didn't have
public access laws for guide dogs, and I couldn't force myself in. smile I
would recommend being with your guide at least a year before doing any type
of study abroad, as you want to make sure you are a good working team. There
are many guide dog schools who are members of the International Guide Dog
Federation, and it may be possible to contact the school in whatever country
you would be living in. Best of luck.

Cheers
Bonnie Mosen -----Original Message-----