[NAGDU] Labs and German Shepards

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 14 14:03:59 UTC 2017

I've had 6 labs and 1 shepherd.  The shepherd couldn't take my stressful lifestyle at the time, and had to retire early.  I think of him as my Woody Allen dog, smart, but anxious.  So that colors my perceptions.  But I have a friend who's had all shepherds, and they do well.  So, with that said ...

I think, very broadly speaking, shepherds are more driven.  They really want to get out there and work, the more the better.  My labs also really enjoy their work, but, if for some reason I don't have anywhere to go today, they're happy to hang around the house for a day.
Shepherds tend to talk more.  Not bark or growl, just make sheppie noises.
The shepherds I've known seem prone to serious health issues, particularly digestion issues.  They can be managed, once the right food is found, but finding it can be a big job.
My shepherd had a smooth, long-legged gait.  He went fast without thinking about it.  My labs have had more of a trot, but they've also been shorter than my sheppie.  Many people say a lab gait is bouncy or rolling. I don't notice that myself, but I've had a lot of labs, so maybe I'm just used to it.
Tracy