[NAGDU] How to deal with a sniffer

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Apr 26 15:50:04 UTC 2017

Tori,

My retired guide and current guide both do some air sniffing. Honestly,
I don't worry about it. In fact, since dogs pick up so much information
about the environment through their noses, I regard it as a positive. It
doesn't impinge on their work and even seems to add to it at times.

If the air sniffing were distracting the dog from the work, I suppose I
would treat it as any other distraction and use "Leave it. Forward," to
get the dog back on track. Mine usually just sniff as they go. When the
dog stops suddenly to sniff, it's turned out to be for good reason --
something in the environment we need to respond to -- so it's a quick
halt then the indication from the dog that we need to go a different
way. When I've argued with Mitzi about her decision, she's always turned
out to be right, so now I don't argue with my dog so much. /lol/

hth,

Tami