[NAGDU] ask a stupid question phone operators? get a silly answer!

Abby Bolling violingirl30794 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 02:18:55 UTC 2017

So, when I was still registered at wright state, I continuously got
calls, from the same person, asking if I wanted to drive for Uber.

Well, I politely said no. right?

well, by the tenth call, I decided to say, "you know what? I have the
time, I'm going to play with this guy a little!"

So I answered their question of "Do you want to drive for Uber?

'No, your company really doesn't want me driving?"

"Oh, we don't worry about history as much as we advertise. Are you
worried about your driving record?"

"Well, No, I have no driving record. I can't drive, I am blind, and they
just haven't released that technology on the market yet!"

"Well why not?"

"Good question, I have no idea!"

"Ok, well, what kind of car do you have?"

"I don't have a car, I have a pretty severe disability, I am totally blind."

"Oh that's not a problem! We make it a mission not to discriminate
against any disability here!"

"Honey, This is Probably the only time you will ever hear this from a
potential employee, but you need to discriminate for this particular
disability."

"But why? It's against the law to discriminate employment based on a
disability."

"Ok sir, I'm going to ask you a simple question."

"Ok."

"What does the word "Blind" mean to you?

"well, it means that the person can't see!"

"Well spotted sir!"

Oh, but that doesn't matter to us. We look at every case individually
and judge based on qualifications."

"Well, it would be safe to assume, since I'm blind, I do not qualify for
this job."

"Oh don't worry, we look at everyone's qualifications individually."

"ok, but I am blind sir."

"Like I said before, we don't discriminate against any disability."

"Ok, with this specific case, trust me, your company really doesn't want
a person who is blind driving around."

"Yes, I understand every point you've made, but I still want to know,
what kind of car do you have?"

(Repeat answer and question about 3 more times)

"ok, give me one moment and I'll go look at her registration papers."

"Ok, I can wait."

"Ok! here they are, Her name is Cricket, and She is a very well
maintained mid to early 2014 Black Black Labrador."

"Hmmm, I don't see that in our database. What kind is it again?"

(Disbelief now!)

"2014 Black Chesapeake Labrador. Outfitted with a brown leather harness
and matching leash. Although I do need to oil the leather slightly, it's
starting to show some wear and tear."

"Hmmm, what year again?"

"Mid to early 2014."

"Condition?"

"Very well maintained. I would say like new, but she's grown a little
since issued."

"I can't find any companies or models by the name of Chesapeake
Labrador. Could it possibly be registered under a different model name?"

(Guys, I can't make this up!)

"Hmmm, That's strange! Well, I don't know why. She was issued by Leader
Dogs for the Blind."

"Leader dogs fo...? Excuse me? I've never heard of that manufacturer!""

"Yep. that's where I got her."

"wait! is this some practical joke? That sounds like a dog!"

"Yep, she sure is."

"Are you messing with me young lady?"

"Wow! it took you this long?"

"That was very rude of you."

"Well, next time you have a potential employee on the phone, you may
think about listening to said person. if they say they can't drive, let
it go!"

"Oh, so this was a lesson?"

"Yep, now please remove me from your calling list and move me over to
the "Do not call" list, please."

"Why did you do that?"

"Because, obviously "No," wasn't enough. trust me, you will remember
this conversation more clearly than if I had just told you "no, I can't
drive," because you have called me ten times asking me the same question!

I never heard from that person again!

So, bottom line? If someone is consistently calling/asking you incessant
question like shown above, don't be afraid to play with them a little.
they will remember that conversation a lot better than the just "I am
not qualified to drive." or to perform stated task...

Just wanted to give you guys a little laugh!

lots of loves and hugs,

Abby and the 2014 black labrador, Cricket!

!

--
Abigail M. Bolling
Phone: (513) 512-3456
Email: bolling.8 at wright.edu
"keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart, and just let the music play." (Julie Anderson-Diamond)
"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like no one is listening, and live like it's Heaven on earth." (William Purkey)