[NAGDU] Textbook dogs, intelligence, and initiative (was Re: Apprentice Instructor)

Wayne And Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Fri Aug 11 13:59:50 UTC 2017

     Hi Abby and Buddy,I have to concur with Buddy about wanting a "textbook" Guide Dog. Like most GDO's that I've encountered I don't want/need a dog that follows every command robotically. I need and want a pup that thinks, evaluates and uses their judgement to make the judgement calls that I can't. Like Buddy though, I'm still, after seventeen years, learning to walk that thin line.Abby, with the prevalence of blended kerbs nowadays having your dog go past a kerb and get your bum our of the street is probably a very wise move. One that I've kind of drifted into doing,  Harley D will go up the kerb and stop at the tactile strip. That's usually enough that my bum isn't in danger of getting squished. However, this could be a bit problematic I'd the kerb is an old style non-blended kerb that if your dog doesn't stop for, you'll trip over. Harley D does honour those types of kerbs  by stopping with his front paws on the kerb when we encounter them.In May 2000 I was matched with LD Sequoia  ( ret. ) a GDMI with a couple of decades of experienceunder his feet explained things to me this way.Now remember that we were right outside of Detroit....I'll paraphrase... "When you go home with one of our dogs, you're likesomeone that just bought a car from a dealer right off of the assembly line. When you get that car home, you decide that you'd like to soup it up into a hotrod. You're going to customize it to suit you. You'll be doing the same when you get home with your dog. Adjusting, tweaking and extending how you and your dog work together.Cindy this is kind of, I think, akin to your cake analogy.

Yours, Very Sincerely And Respectfully,

Wayne M. Scace