[NAGDU] Using positive reinforcement instead of punishment

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Dec 18 22:50:09 UTC 2017

Yiska,

I use clicker training to owner-train my dogs. Since I'm training them
from the ground up, I use successive approximation to mold the behaviors
for guide work over time. If the dog does mess up once he is trained, I
just rework the obstacle, reward him for getting it right and move on.
Both of my dogs make few mistakes. For self-rewarding behaviors like
sniffing, I simply redirect and reward the dog for redirecting. With my
current boy, if he's really in a sniffy mood, I get further with lures,
then rewards than I do if I take a negative approach. Generally, I can
just say, "Leave it, forward," to get him back on track. So "no" doesn't
really come into the equation, since the positive command for what I
want him to do does the trick. I also use time outs, just having him
stand still until he's ready to get his head back on the job, then we
move on. He doesn't like having to turn around and do something over, so
we'll do that a time or two if he's being really stubborn. That doesn't
happen often.

Around the house, we'll make some sort of noise if one of the dogs is
crossing a boundary, but for the most part, I use "leave it," and so on.
If I do use a negatory, it doesn't matter what I say, since I'm using
tone and body language to remind the dog to straighten out. Sometimes
the word that comes out is "no," but often as not, it's an unarticulated
kind of sound. Just whatever comes out first.

I don't give a food reward every time I click or use a verbal marker,
like "good," so I can reinforce positive behaviors without slowing down.
I use actual treats Las Vegas style, meaning randomly, once the dog is
trained. At this point, Loki doesn't need much reinforcement for doing
the job, but he does better with a bit of cheerleading now and then.

hth,

Tami