[NAGDU] Hound dog

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 15:02:01 UTC 2017

Dar:

Oh how I do hate places where there are lots of kids trying to feed my dog.
Fortunately Eva is good in harness and will not take food from other people.
However, if there is stuff on the floor under the tables she might try to
sniff at it.  fortunately one verbal correction usually stops this.  The
problem is not always just the kids.  I have had to stop many adults from
tossing bits of food to Eva.  It sounds like Penney is finally growing up.
Sometimes it does take time especially when they graduate so young like our
two girls did.  I've had Eva for almost three years now and sometimes she
still acts like a puppy.   She stayed small with a thin delicate body type
and is still only 55 pounds.  The trainers must have thought she would grow
into her harness but it is still on the smallest hole and the chest strap is
so loose that she sometimes gets her front legs out of the chest strap when
she is lying down.  Everyone says she looks like a puppy.  The biggest
problem I have is people reaching out to pet her when she is working.  Eva
takes that as a signal that it is time to play.  You would think that people
would know better than to pet a guide dog but they see a cute dog and think
it is okay to pet them.  I don't know what it is with the jumping when
people come to the house.  Eva still does that and it drives me nuts.  I
keep a leash on the door knob and clip it onto her collar before I open the
door.  This allows me to immediately correct her if she jumps.  Once my
guests get into the house and I allow them to give her a bit of attention
she is fine.  It is just that initial excitement of someone coming through
the door.  I hope you and Penney have a great trip to Arizona.  You and your
friend will enjoy working the two dogs together.  The two dogs will probably
enjoy playing together when they are not working.  Have a fun trip and let
us know how things go when you get back.

Sandra and Eva