[NAGDU] Cleaning up after your guide dog?

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Feb 5 21:06:04 UTC 2017

Hey Jen,

You think that's a gross question? Trust me. Believe me when i tell you. Doggie doos are a regular topic of dinner conversation at the dinner table at guide dog school. As in, "Did your dog go?" "Yeah, and it was a big one..." And so forth. Oh yeah. We're known to go into some detail, sometimes, about size, consistency, all sorts of things.

So. How do we clean up after then?

In the normal course of things, it's not as hard, nor as gross, as you'd think. To start, our dogs enerally go on leash, so there's a pretty defined area that they'll be going in. Generally speaking, when they stop, you'll follow the leash down to the dog and feel its position. Squatting with a sloped back (especially if it's a girl) means peeing. If it's a boy, you can, umm, yeah...you can usually tell when he's peeing. It's kind of entertaining, or else you know, small amusements for small minds, but you get a couple of males peeing at the same time and I swear they're having a contest to see which one can pee loudest. No need to worry in that case. If, however, the dog's back is hunched over and curved, he or she is taking a dump. Laying a railer. Making a deposit. Paying the taxes. Whatever. So you, or I anyway, will keep my hand on the dog's back and point my toe in the general direction of the business end. With a plastic baggie on my hand (everyone carries them, right?), when doggie gets up, I simply pick up the present, invert the baggie, tie it off, and it's all ready to go where those kinds of things generally go. No muss, no fuss. All good, and quickly done.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name