[NAGDU] {Spam?} The myth of the magical cane

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Feb 9 22:03:49 UTC 2017

 Gosh you make cane skills sound like some magic wand, I know if when I
first got a guide dog someone had known quite how little confidence I had
with a cane , judging by what seems to be today's standards I would have
never been given a dog--lol. I'm glad guide dog schools gave people a chance
when I, for example, started out. I got a dog and soon understood what I
would need to do to become a good traveler with a dog and I worked hard and
voila I'm using a dog 24 years later, have traveled all sorts of places,
even other countries and so on...   This though I only hear in one ear   and
of course am totally blind.
 fact is I was very motivated.
this isn't directed at your question about high school but I am just amazed
at how much I hear about people saying things like "oh before you have a dog
you had better have good cane skills."

And even now, every time I go for a successor dog they'll come to your home
a lot of times and try  out my cane skills  on a walk and I hear grumbling
about how I veer with a cane when I cross streets...if I thought I were the
cat's miao with a cane I probably wouldn't necessarily opt for a dog, fact
is it's a better mobility tool for me.

Just an observation.

No comments about the TVI, I actually agree with what's been said on that
subject already.