[NAGDU] {Spam?} The myth of the magical cane

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Thu Feb 9 23:01:28 UTC 2017

Dan, I definitely don't want to see this turn into a dog versus Cain issue on the list. It's one of those things that has been brought up time and time again and there is no real answer. However, that being said, it is my opinion only that a fair amount of Cain travel skills are necessary in order to be a successful dog handler. Canes are certainly not magic wands. Although I am a good Kane traveler, there are people who are better than me and there are people who are not as good as me. This is Merely my own observation and not from a professional's viewpoint. One example of how Cain travel is important to me as a dog user is, I will not depend on my dog for 100% of my travel. There are times that I will not take my dog to certain situations, or my dog might not be feeling well. Therefore, having good cane skills is a must. I have met blind people, both cane and dog users who had trouble finding their way out of a simple one door room with four walls. It has made me sad that people like this have not been able to receive adequate mobility training, or if they did, they have a lead that training laps for one reason or another. The dog is not going to make someone be a better traveler just like the cane won't, it is merely one's personal abilities and goals with whichever tool one uses to utilize. There might be situations that I am shopping at a store and will take my guide dog in and out of the isles. However when I need to find something specific that he might normally take me around, you bet I will take out my cane and heel the dog. I hope my comments make sense. Thanks.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer - RGA Tech Solutions

Mobile: 832.554.7285
Work: 832.639.4477
Personal Email: raul at raulgallegos.com
Work Email: training at rgats.com

“Any teacher that can be replaced with a computer, deserves to be.” – David Thornburg