[NAGDU] Service dog license

Ann Edie Annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 19:12:34 UTC 2017

Hi, Julie, Nancy, and Everyone,

Julie did a very good job of explaining some of the reasons why service dog
certification is not a good idea. In addition, I think the major deficiency
of such a scheme is that it would in no way solve the problem of "fake"
service dogs, which is supposedly the primary reason for certification. As
Julie mentioned, doctors do not know the difference between service dogs for
persons with disabilities, emotional support dogs, and social or companion
dogs, any more than do other members of the general public. And they do not
know the differences between the access provided by the ADA, the ACAA, and
the Fair Housing Act. In fact, many persons with disabilities are not clear
about these distinctions. Nevertheless, many doctors are very willing to
give people letters stating that the person needs or would benefit from a
dog or other animal. The doctors do not know or specify that the animal must
be individually trained to perform tasks to mitigate the individual person's
disability in order to qualify for access to places of public accommodation.
Furthermore, service animal patches, vests, and identification cards or
certificates are readily available from websites or can be made by
individuals themselves. Would business owners be expected to check the
individual's service dog licence against a list of "approved" providers or
look the person up in a database of eligible individuals with disabilities
before permitting the person to access the place of business or public
accommodation? If so, both businesspersons and many service animal users
would find this type of law not only burdensome, but also an invasion of
privacy and an infringement on our freedom of access to public
accommodations. In short, such a scheme is unworkable and antidemocratic,
and does nothing to solve the perceived problem of "fake" service dogs.

Nancy, I too applaud your openness to informing yourself about the issues
surrounding the topic of certification of service animals before forming
your own opinion on the matter. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to
think out loud and bounce these ideas around among those who would be most
affected by such laws.

Ann