[NAGDU] Japan guide dog schools, and being blind deaf

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Sun Feb 26 21:30:13 UTC 2017

Hi List and Dan,

I'm usually a lurker, and will have some guide dog questions eventually,
but I'm coming out of hiding in reaction to the following phrase ggrrrrr

> "In the same vein, I always struggled with the partially sighted people who can read me a menu--lol but say they are blind, you know what I'm saying I think?--warmes smile." by dan

I was a high partial for many years.  I could read 20/20 with special
scope glasses a few letters at a time, and could read a menue with a
handheld magnifier.  BUT I couldn't recognize faces, couldn't tell
distances, couldn't judge people's motions, travel patterns in crowds.

I never really fit in anywhere.  At a time/distance sports car road
rally at summer camp, the partial sighted kids were assigned to cars
after all the blind kids, and I just sat for 2 hours while the blind
navigator did everything.  when I finally realized I needed to use a
white cane, the training program paid attention to the folks with worse
vision loss and I was told 'I 'had more vision than I realized.'  In the
sighted world I felt like I was inept, and was made fun of because of
the way I held things close to see them.

Now, I'm mostly blind, just see some colors, shadows and motion
depending on the light source.  I still wear regular glasses for
protection and because sunglasses darken things up and I still benefit
from as much light as I can.  There are probably folks that think I can
see and wonder why I need a cane.

I have learned to say I'm blind, usually followed up with there are
degrees of blindness, if I get resistance or negativity.

It took years to accept that some people would not like it that I said I
was blind although I had some sight.  I used to think only totally blind
folks could have a guide dog or use a white cane for that matter.

My white cane andI have been good friends for several years.  when I
first started using it I had pretty good vision, and my husband didn't
want me to use it.  Once we were trying to get somewhere in a hurry, and
my white cane kept my sighted husband and I from falling down some
stairs.  He has seen the difference in crowds when I carry my cane
compared to when we walk sighted-guide.  Even when I had good partial
sight, he noticed I had less issues traveling alone in crowds with my
cane compared to not using it.

I still feel frustrated/angry when I hear what appear to me as
negativity toward partial sighted folks who say they are blind.  The old
feeling of ashamedness at using my cane, or the fear of 'will a guide
dog school let me get a dog because I can see some' comes creeping back in.
fortunately, the feeling dosen't linger long any more.  And I try very
hard not to make comments that might cause blind folks with more vision
to feel uncomfortable.

Well, there's my rant, thanks for your patience, I feel better now, and
hope this review was ok.

brenda

Now, since I have some vision, I'm sure there are folks that still think
I'm a faker or liar because I use a white cane.  I'm thankful that I am
no longer ashamed or afraid to use what I need to live my life.  I