[NAGDU] Guide Dog Training Program Agreements

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jan 8 10:45:28 UTC 2017

Buddy,

Can they take your home away? or is it just the fines?
Is there a process of warnings, a hearing of some sort and then finally an
action?  Is there an appeal process?

I don't live in a home owners association, but  I suspect I know the answers
to these questions.  And I think that's what the significant difference is
to how the guide dog programs operate.   For me it's not the specific words
in the contract, but the actions that demonstrate their values.  Actions
speak louder than words.  When a program instructs, endorses or supports
it's employees to act in a manner that demeans or devalues blind people, I'm
taking a pass.  A good contract with a strong ownership agreement is a good
first step, but it has to be followed by solid actions that reflect what
they've said in the contract.

In the end the violation of a contract is a civil matter that will require a
lawyer, loads of money and even more time.   Meanwhile the program has the
dog.  Not too many blind people have the resources to pursue a case like
this in court and I suspect the programs know it, which brings us around to
my previous point.  What the program does is more important than what they
say they are going to do on a piece of paper.

Julie