[NAGDU] grooming tips and suggestions

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 18 19:27:33 UTC 2017

I've had mostly labs.  It seems to me that the last 2 shed more when they
were older, say around 10.  My current lab/golden cross doesn't shed much,
but his fur is white, so people say it shows more than my black labs' fur
did.  I groom the dog every day, but I don't worry much about a bit of fur
on my clothes or carpet.  A stray hair here and there is just part of my
life.
I use 3 grooming tools: first, a bristle brush to start things up, then a
fine-toothed comb to get the loose fur out, then a soft terrier brush,
like a soft slicker, to finish things up.  It's worked well for many
years, so I don't feel any need to change.  The whole routine takes maybe
5 minutes, if that.

I noticed Krokus scratching a bit this winter, so I've been putting a
spoonful of coconut oil in his breakfast.  It seems to have helped; he's
not itchy now.

I am not a big believer in dog bathing.  With daily grooming, my dogs have
not needed a bath unless something unusual happened, like a skunk or
rolling in something.  When Echo got really old, her fur got oily, and she
needed the occasional bath, but that's it.  I know some people feel
differently.
Tracy