[NAGDU] acquiring dog for owner training

Wayne And Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Thu Jan 19 18:05:16 UTC 2017

Hi Tracy,Harley D is a rescue. I paid $50.00 for him. I am, however, looking into purchasing his successor from a breeder. I am well aware that, that avenue will be a bit more expensive.  Say, a range of $500.00 to $10,000.00 depending on the breed, bloodlines, and breeder. As you said, it can be hit, or miss whether the pup/dog is a rescue, or a breeder pup. With a breeder pup though, health testing has usually been done ( as long as the breeder isn't a backyard breeder ).Whether to get a puppy right after weaning, or  a dog a bit older ( I wouldn't advise going more than a year old with a prospect ) is, of course up to the individual's choice.
CAVEAT:CAVEAT: Owner Training IS NOT for everyone, I am NOT saying it is, nor have I ever stated that it was. If you, as a Guide Dog Owner choose to go with a Programme trained Guide, well and Good. If you choose to hire a private trainer to train your Guide, more power to you!! If you choose to Owner Train your Guide, AWESOME!! It's your choice.  We are ALL family, none of us are the "Blacksheep" of the Guide Dog Family.

Yours, Very Sincerely And Respectfully,

Wayne M. Scace