[NAGDU] [Ownership comments

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 20 14:46:08 UTC 2017

Dear All,

	For some reason the message below did not come through the list, so I am sending it again. If it happens to be a duplicate, perhaps someone who may not have read it the first time will have an opportunity to do so now.

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.

Mr. Boehm,

	I would like to comment on your message and some of the assertions that are made within it. Let me first begin with the issue of the resolution that was presented in 2015. Resolutions are presented by individuals asking the membership to support a particular policy stand. They are not presented nor endorsed by any division, chapter, committee, or other part of the organization. Though Vice President Mike Hingson and I were the proponents of the resolution, it was not presented by us in an official capacity as representatives of the National Association of Guide Dog Users.

	As for the assertion that no information was offered in advance of the resolution, this is in keeping with the protocol of the National Federation of the Blind and the Resolutions Committee. The members of the Resolutions Committee are charged with reviewing resolutions prior to the meeting of the committee and those resolutions are never made public until the committee has reviewed them, their proponents have made their case for the resolution, and the committee has voted to recommend the resolution to the floor of the assembly.

	If you were to review the minutes of the 2015 annual meeting, you would find that the resolution was brought to the attention of the membership during the meeting and members were asked to attend the Resolutions Committee meeting to hear the reading of the resolution. It is not appropriate for a resolution to be read in advance of its presentation during the committee meeting, thus the reason it was not read during the annual meeting of NAGDU.

	As to your comments dealing with the lack of complaints about guide dog training programs interfering with consumer's rights, gathering such factual information is problematic. Information concerning consumers who contact us about these issues is bound by the ethics of confidentiality. As a member of the NAGDU board, you have heard some of my reports about these issues; however, I am not at liberty to discuss many of the details without breaching confidentiality. The fear many of those face who come to me with these issues is that of being black listed by the training programs. This is a real concern and I know it happens. You only need to take a look at the application process to know that training programs talk to each other and some make decisions about whether or not to accept someone for training based upon the recommendation of another program.

	In 2011, the National Association of Guide Dog Users created the Guide Dog Consumers' Bill of Rights. This statement of rights was created by a committee of our members through a year-long series of meetings. The resulting document was endorsed by the board of directors, published in the Braille Monitor

https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/bm/bm11/bm1106/bm110609.htm

and passed unanimously by the membership at our annual meeting. This bill of rights includes the full and unconditional transfer of ownership upon completion of training and forbids the repossession of a dog without third-party objective evidence of abuse or neglect.

	Some guide dog training programs respect the dignity of the individual, transferring ownership upon completion of training and refusing to accept anonymous complaints. Most programs, on the other hand, believe that blind people must prove they have the capacity to own a dog by requiring a trial period before transferring ownership, annual veterinarian reports, and mandatory retirement. I know there are arguments for these latter restrictions; however, it is my opinion that such arguments have valid counterpoints and alternatives. I believe  such policies are paternalistic, founded in low expectations of the blind in contradiction to the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind.

	As for the ability to review a program's agreement in advance, the National Association of Guide Dog Users requested copies of the agreements consumers were asked to sign and only Guide Dogs of America agreed to provide their agreements. It is my opinion that all agreements asked to be signed should be given to the consumer well in advance of training, not when the training is almost complete. Once a consumer has completed their training, what are they to do if they disagree with the agreement. I suppose they could refuse to sign it and leave without the guide dog they just spent training with. Or they could sign an agreement they don't want and hope for the best. If such an agreement were to be litigated, perhaps the Court would agree that it was sign under duress - either you sign this agreement or you leave without the dog. Not much of a choice, is it?

	I believe it is only a matter of time -and that time will happen soon - when a guide dog user will resist the paternalism of a tgraining program wishing to repossess a dog, forcing the program to litigate the contract. Should this happen, I believe the court will side with the guide dog user by asserting that ownership of a guide dog cannot be provisionally based on some arbitrary, capricious, unfounded issue or, as it states in Fidelco's agreement, at the sole and absolute discretion of the program. Even this clause smacks of paternalism and intelligent, well-informed consumers still sign it! Perhaps this consumer will be someone who has told me that guide dog training programs would never do such a thing! When the time comes, the National Federation of the Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog Users will stand with the consumer to remove that barrier from our lives!

Fraternally yours, Marion Gwizdala, President