[NAGDU] NAGDU Digest, Vol 142, Issue 17

james boehm jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:56:11 UTC 2017

Dear Nancy,
Thank you for your comments, and sharing your experience. I agree with you that it would be wise to do your own investigation . Talk to the school and ask them their reasoning on their policies . I think most schools do not have malicious intentions. They are businesses that provide, at no charge, a incredible mobility tool and companion. I hope you are able to find comfort in your investigation and have a good outcome  to your situation. These schools are made up of so many volunteers, and professionals, many blind themselves, who have built their programs on decades of experience and research. I am not saying they are perfect, but they tend to know their stuff, and there are reasons behind why they handle situations a certain way. Sometimes , even then, we may not fully  agree with them. That is why it is wonderful that we live in a country where we have the freedom to make choices and decisions. You know your dog  and his or her demeanor. Every dog is different. We cannot assume every dog will work 11 plus years. When you speak with other schools and former guide dog users, you will find the average work life of a dog is rarely 11 years. All dogs are different. Breeds have different characteristics. I agree with Marion about being sad if I had to leave my dog at home. He is also always  very eager to work. But not all dogs are that way.I know you love your dog and you will make the best decision that is best for you and your dog team.I wish you the best of success!
Best,

James Alan Boehm

Peabody College of Vanderbilt University
Human Developmental Counseling/Clinical Counseling: M. ED.

Contact Information
Phone: 901-483-1515
Email: James.A.Boehm at Vanderbilt.edu
Send NFB correspondences to: secretary at NFB-TN.org
-Audrey Hepburn:“Nothing is impossible,
the word itself says ‘I’m Possible"