[NAGDU] re returned guide dog questions?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jan 28 00:06:36 UTC 2017

Gary,

I've heard of a couple of poodles that were reissued to happy handlers
and seem to have bonded well. I don't know the ins and outs though.
Since you're familiar with the Way of the Poodle and know how to connect
and communicate, that should be a help. It may take longer for the
poodle to bond is all.

So I've gone from smallish poodle to tallish poodle. Mitzi comes to just
above my knees, which is a nice height. Loki comes to above mid-thigh,
and it is a very different feel. Now that I'm used to it, I like it
better in some ways because of how much more of his movement I can feel.
He's also quite a bit stronger, so I can't be cavalier about rushing and
pulling too hard as I could with Mitzi. His guiding style is a bit more
studied, and he doesn't like to cut things so close as Mitzi did. I
don't know if that's a function of size, since tight maneuvers are a bit
trickier with all his lenghth. It could also just be a difference in
dogs. The smaller dog is definitely more maneuverable and easier to fit
in small spaces. It helps that Loki is more willing to fit himself and
just settle down, but I'm still adjusting to having half again as much
poodle to deal with.

It seems like I took more information from the harness handle with
Mitzi, whereas with Loki I feel his movements more in his body. With
her, if she decided to slow down and not pull, I was clueless. He
doesn't slow down much, though he does tend to respond to an obstacle
ahead of time and slow until he figures out how to approach it. I can
still walk with him easily without handle contact until he picks up again.

Those are the key things I notice with the size difference, going the
other direction than you are planning to.

Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

Tami