[NAGDU] Field Reps

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Jul 4 15:59:11 UTC 2017

Jordan,

It's so frustrating when that happens, and you just don't have time to
do battle to get the answer to a question that you really need to have
answered.

For one tricky street crossing long ago, I gave up on the blindness
professionals and was able to get a helpful description when I was
walking that way with a sighted friend, and later on from a random
stranger. It was still a tricky and uncomfortable crossing, but it was
possible to cross there instead of going around for a mile or two just
to avoid it. Later on, out in the outer suburbs, I had a street crossing
that got to be too crazy dangerous, which was a real problem. Lack of
sidewalks and increasing traffic, mostly driven by wreckless menaces
made going around a pretty iffy business, too. Even the drivers in the
subdivisions along that route were terrified to take it on, and people
stopped walking it unless they absolutely had to. I wonder if they ever
put in a light there, or if the body count is still piling up.

Anyway, I have found getting a description of the infrastructure around
a tricky crossing to be helpful, along with standing on the corner
listening to traffic. That also takes time, but sometimes less time than
trying to wrangle answers and not getting any. It can also be
frustrating because sighted people don't always notice the things I
consider key to navigation. Otheres are very observant, which is helpful.

For the harness handle... That strikes me as a big problem if it keeps
you from feeling your dog's movements. I don't really have a solution
other than fix it yourself, if you have tools and are handy that way.
I've heard of schools replacing harnesses, but I've always wondered how
that works. Do they overnight them in the mail? Or do you just have to
wait around with no harness? I'm no help there. I have two harnesses, so
if something happens to one, I have a spare.

Hope you're able to get these things resolved.

Tami