[NAGDU] Dog Names

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jul 6 19:16:48 UTC 2017

Nancy,

Oh. I was laughing at a yellow lab named Coal (like  the black stuff)
then checked the spelling. Still, ironic, huh?

So Mitzi came with the name, only it was spelled M i t s y. I was
horrified by the notion of going around with a poodle with such a name
and planned to change it just as soon as I got to know her enough to see
which of the alternates I was thinking of fit her. Only... She was a
Mitsy. So I changed the spelling, which was silly but seemed somehow to
fit better with the z i ending. She is definitely a Mitzi. No, I don't
know what a Mitzi is, just that it is what Mitzi is. /lol/

When it was time to get a new puppy, the name Loki was on my list for a
male. Thinking of Mitzi's puppyhood, I couldn't imagine a more apt name
than that of a mischief deity. It would have fit her to a T for sure!
The puppies in Loki's litter were all nicknamed for characters from one
of the family's favorite films, so he was Bumper. I considered going
with that, but the thought of having a guide dog named Bumper made me
break out in a cold sweat. And I was sort of hooked on the name Loki by
then, so I went with that. It has been pointed out to me that since Loki
got to be kinda evil in later myths and shows up as an evil character in
a number of modern iterations, that's a scarier name than Bumper. /lol/
My Loki is more like the early hearth deity who outwitted the other gods
to bring fire to man and used his cleverness to get the rest of them out
of trouble. Okay, so sometimes he was the cause of the trouble, but he
did get them out of the trouble he caused them. Also, he's tall, dark
and handsome, just like my Loki. /grin/ I hadn't realized how much the
name had worked it's way into modern literature and movies, or I might
have gone with something else. There's nothing like going down the
sidewalk, saying "Loki, left," and having someone gasp, "Oooh! He's evil!"

Tami