[NAGDU] Groomer newbie

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jul 8 03:14:26 UTC 2017

Rox,

What I liked about our mobile groomer in Aloha was that I could hang out
in the van while he was grooming the dog. He didn't really like poodles,
and normally didn't do them, but he and Mitzi hit it off and had quite
the love affair going. I sometimes wondered if I should leave and give
the two of them privacy. /lol/ I've had good luck leaving my dogs with
groomers, but I'm happiest when I can be around and know what's going on.

Anyway... Perhaps this groomer will let you stay on hand, especially if
he/she sees your dog doesn't get hyper just because you're there. I like
to show a groomer the touch command and some of my hand gestures and
commands like "stand" that not all dogs may know. The groomer can spare
the effort of pushing or lifting the dog into position that way, and my
dogs are more comfortable just being told these things rather than being
prodded into stuff. When I'm leaving my dog with a new groomer, or
there's a new staffer, I make sure they know that both my dog and I
prefer they ask for the leash and let me hand it over. Maybe I'm silly,
but I teach my dogs not to walk off with anyone who grabs the leash out
of my hand.

Anyway, if you have special handling quirks like that, you can do a
quick show and tell. If you have a special word or gesture for Soleil to
get in the tub, the groomer might appreciate it even. /smile/

Good luck getting a clean dog! Hope your tattoo heals fast, so you can
enjoy the pretty without the pain.

Tami