[NAGDU] Escalators, and how different schools handle them?

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 19 08:36:33 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I've just read the whole threat about escalators and thought it was very
interesting. Here in Germany, guide dog schools teach the dogs to avoid
escalators. So if we walk towards one, the dog has to stop and refuse to
walk on it. I don't know of any German school that  trains their dogs to
go on an escalator, so all your experiences were completely new to me.
They also sounded a bit complicated or at least as if they require a lot
of concentration but I'm sure, things like getting on and off a train
were complicated at first, too, and by now, we all are so used to doing it.

It was even part of my qualification to show my dog avoids escalators
correctly.

As always, there might be exceptions over here, too, but the common
opinion is: dogs, no matter if guides or pets, aren't allowed on
escalators because it's way too dangerous.

That's not my opinion nor do I oppose to it  because I simply don't know
enough about the methods you described or the dangers people see. Just
wanted to share how things are in Germany regarding this topic.

Lisa