[NAGDU] Solving the ESA Problem

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 19:32:54 UTC 2017

Here is what I propose. Because by definition an ESA is not required to have any training what so ever. The rules should be changed to require that all ESAs be Small breed dogs, rabbits, cats, or other animals, legal to be kept as pets, and that they ride in a carrier at the feet of the person. Every person with an ESA must have a prescription for the ESA from a licensed mental health professional. Additionally, any dog too small to be confined in a carrier must have passed the CGC test. Will it weed out every fake? No, of course not, people willing to fake the doctors' letter will also consider faking a CGC certification, but it is one more step for them to slip up in their fakery and one more hassle that might deter them. For people with a legitimate need for an ESA, who suffer from minor or major depression, seasonal affective disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, etc. it would be highly therapeutic to have to get out of the house to get their dog through the CGC classes. The actual process of working with and training a dog is also good for the owner emotionally, physically and cognitively. For the purposes of housing, the CGC need not be required, and for crateable small dogs, the CGC would be good, but needn't be required, as the dog can't hurt anyone in their crate. Just keeping all of the small ESAs in carriers and having the ones too big to fit in carriers receive CGC would weed out a lot of the people who honestly didn't realize how badly their dogs would behave. Heck, if someone wants to get a fake doctor's note, but actually gets their dog through the CGC process, I would morally object, but functionally and logistically I would feel much better about them traveling beside me and my dog, then the person with the legitimate doctor's note, but who has done no training with the dog.

Or, an alternative? Have anyone bringing a dog, service or emotional support sign something stating that they do not have any reason to believe that their dog will pose any danger or any health hazard to the rest of the passengers and that if their dog does cause injury or damage, that they are solely responsible for these injuries or damages. Because, that is how it should be. The handler or pet owner is responsible, not the airline, and if they screw up, then they ought to pay. Signing a liability thing like this should not give any legitimate service dog handler pause, as we are confident in the training of our dogs, and our ability to handle them, and the fakers or the people with the poorly trained dogs will not want to sign something like that, and so they can just not fly or can place their dogs into the belly of the plane.