[NAGDU] if you had a magic wand

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 17:37:57 UTC 2017

	Yeah, she'd be cured, but her dog could be screwed. The more times a
dog performs a bad behavior, either because of their persistence, handler
negligence, or just circumstances beyond the dog's or the handler's control,
the more likely they are to do it again. If I rework a crossing that Ilsa
botched and she screws it up again, then I just move on, and I re-visit it
with sighted help or at a time of day when the traffic is heavier and the
street crossing is easier to read or when I can have clicker and treats in
hand, so that she fixes the problem, but she doesn't continue to do it
wrong, because that will just reinforce in her muscle memory and her mental
memory the wrong way of doing it. Every time a dog soils indoors, no matter
how smart they are, it will increase their chances of doing it again in
future, especially if it is on carpet or apulstry that holds odors. Also,
Jen, I don't know you personally, but if you have kids, a partner, pets, a
crazy busy course load in college or an erratic work schedule, "remembering"
probably won't cut it, and having set times with accompanying technology set
up to give you those reminders will be a big help. There is absolutely zero
shame in any adult using an alarm to remember to take a multi-vitamin, put
the dog out to relieve, put the potty training toddler on the potty. After
all we have wake-up alarms, those of us on diets or trying to make healthy
habits often have reminders to space our meals, or track our food or ensure
our exercise routines. Even good parents often have to schedule chunks of
family time or specific one-on-one blocks of time for each child, especially
in a multi-child home. Even loving and attentive spouses often have to
schedule date nights or reminders to have sex for crying out loud.*smile*
Our world has gotten absolutely insane over the past decades and being a
good parent, spouse, student, employee, dog handler, etc. can absolutely
benefit from some help in balancing and managing life's conflicting demands.
It’s a cultural problem, not a personal problem, it is a sociological
problem, not a psychological problem, so there should be zilch judgment and
zero shame or guilt associated with such scheduling and accountability
reminders.

I hope this helps.

Heather Bird
"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -
Martin Niemöller
In our diverse society we must never fail to speak up in the face of Human
Rights violations lest we be the next targets of such violations.