[NAGDU] if you had a magic wand

Bianka bianka at andi-bika.de
Sun Jun 25 16:07:06 UTC 2017

Hello list,

Every time i have retired a dog I always started thinking do I really want a successor dog? Yes, i like dogs but I work full time and I have to really organize  my days to fit workr and caring fora guide dog and a bit of free time in somehow. In addition, there are always access issues and the first half year to a year with a new dog can feel like a roler coaster ride at times. I guess if I had a magic wand I would wave it and the moment I meet my guide dog we would know each other as well as a team that has worked together for at least one year.

As for deal  breakers, this really depends on the person. I met a lady once who really tried to prepare herself and when she got her guide dog she just could not switch her way of orientation to fit the new way of getting clues. She had real trouble trusting the dog. Now, for others, they find out they actually enjoy being in nature with a dog much more than they did before having a dog.

When getting a dog, the important questions for me are: Do I have the time and energy to try to make the best of this oportunity and do I really want a dog to live with me. Guide dogs are dogs, first and foremost, they have been trained to perform a task but they are not machines, they are living, breathing dogs. If the answer to the two questions  is a yes than why not try to live with a guide dog? No one can give us guarantees in live but we can at least try to make informed choices.

Best regards,

Bianka .