[NAGDU] Guide dogs and churches/nonprofits

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 19:36:44 UTC 2017

Hello:

Over the years I have had my dogs with me as I participated in many church
activities including bible studies, helping to serve coffee and snacks,
visiting sick and elderly and being part of the music ministry.  I
encountered the occasional complaints about dog hair on choir robes, other
choir members with allergies and people saying the dog was a distraction to
be with me in the choir.  I developed a stubborn attitude about this and
refused to leave my dog at home or anywhere else in the church.  She is my
eyes and I do not ask the sighted people to leave their glasses or contacts
at home.  It is not my fault that my eyes have two floppy ears, a wagging
tail and lots of fluffy golden fur.  In a few instances the choir director
and pastor had to intervene and insist that I was the lead soloist and my
dog was not going anywhere and anyone who did not like it could leave.  In
the past 42 years of me using a guide dog there were only a few people who
left the choir because of my dog and that was their problem not mine.

Sandra and Eva
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net